John Thackray QC LL.B. (Hons) Leeds, Call 1994
John Thackray specialises exclusively as an advocate in criminal law. He is described by Chambers and Partners, a client's guide, as a 'highly capable, inspirational advocate'.
He acts on behalf of both the Prosecution and Defence in the Crown Court and regularly appears as an advocate in the Court of Appeal.
John is a Level 4 Prosecutor and regularly prosecutes cases involving rape and serious sexual offences. John recently successfully prosecuted the case of R v Britcher which involved the rape of a barrister by a barrister's clerk.
He was a Walter Wigglesworth Scholar of Lincolns Inn.
He has acted as leading junior and junior counsel in high profile cases of murder, attempted murder and manslaughter. He represented a company in R v Horner, a test case of corporate manslaughter. He was a leading junior counsel in the brothel/people trafficking case of R v Weng and successfully resolved the abuse of process application which followed. Successful in overturning convictions in R v Kumar 2005 1 Cr. App.R.34 (mistaken belief/ consent) and R v G Sakalauskas 2013 a case prosecuted under the Fraud Act 2006.
- Specialises in murder, rape and serious sexual offences, fraud, death by dangerous driving, corporate manslaughter
- Leading junior and junior counsel in successful high profile cases
- CPS Level 4 Prosecutor and rape specialist panel member
Qualifications & Appointments
- Inn of Court - Lincolns Inn
- Leeds University, Inns of Court School of Law
- Walter Wigglesworth scholar
- Junior of the North Eastern Circuit (2006)
- Criminal Team Leader
- Crown Court Recorder - North Eastern Circuit (2016)
- North Eastern Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association