Richard Thompson Joint Head of Chambers; Call 2007 (admitted as a Solicitor 1996)
- Richard Thompson has more than 25 years experience in the Criminal Law. He practised as a Solicitor for a number of years dealing directly with clients charged with serious matters in the spectrum of criminal offences.
- He was a member of the Law Society Serious Fraud Panel and successfully prepared the defence case in a number of high profile frauds. He also conducted a number of high profile murder cases including cases involving infant death.
- Since joining Chambers in 2007, Richard has continued to be an impressive advocate and has developed a broad practice, mostly on behalf of the Defence.
- He is regularly instructed in cases involving non-recent sexual abuse, including cases dating back 30 or 40 years. As a result, he has a wealth of experience in dealing with all legal and evidential issues arising in these cases including section 41 applications, third party material and cross-examining vulnerable witnesses.
- Richard has appeared as Junior Counsel in a number of cases of murder. He has also represented Defendants charged with attempted murder.
- Richard has experience in dealing with a wide range of expert evidence including psychiatric, forensic accounting, cell site, drugs valuations and post mortem analysis.
Homicide and related cases
R v Mayes (2016) Defence of attempted murder and administering noxious substance with intent.
R v Flatley (2015) Murder. Knife taken to scene. Convicted of manslaughter. Lead by Richard Wright QC.
R v Pidd (2015) Attempted murder by multiple stabbing. Guilty plea to wounding with intent.
R v Pilkington (2014) Trial of issue in relation to strangulation of elderly relative.
Other notable cases
R v Bush (2016) Conspiracy to import cocaine with street value of £160 million. Six years imprisonment.
R v P (2016) Defendant acquitted of serious sexual offences against step-children.
R v Kelly (2016) Successful defence of benefit fraud allegations based on cohabitation.
R v O (2015) Trial of Defendant with ADHD and Asperger’s Syndrome accused of rape and other sexual offences against 11/12-year-old Complainant. Acquitted.
R v T (2015) Defendant acquitted of domestic vaginal and anal rape.
R v F (2015) Allegation of rape by 16 year old Complainant against Defendant aged 43. Successful defence of consent.
R v A (2015) Historic allegations of serious sexual offences against female relative. Acquitted.
R v K (2015) Defendant acquitted of domestic rape and assault allegations.
R v Whincup (2015) Successful defence of benefit fraud allegations based on cohabitation.
R v Dawson (2015) Benefit fraud allegations based on cohabitation. Acquitted.
R v Patchett (2015) Minimum five year prison term avoided in relation to possession of prohibited firearm.
R v Taylor (L) (2015) Defendant acquitted of inflicting grievous bodily harm by biting on basis of self-defence.
R v Barker (2015) Defendant accused of systematic thefts to order by employee acquitted.
R v Clarke (2015) Section 18 GBH allegation. Attack with golf club. Denied on basis of incorrect identification. Acquitted.
R v Ismail (2015) Grievous bodily harm. Attack with metal bar. Acquitted on basis of self-defence.
R v Husband (2015) Knifepoint robbery. Identification by police officer from CCTV ruled inadmissible. No evidence offered.
R v G (2014) Preston Crown Court. Successful defence of allegations of rape and sexual assault dating back 40 years.
R v A (2014) Child previously convicted of sexual offences against younger children acquitted of further similar allegations.
R v B (2014) Acquitted of domestic rape allegations.
R v M (2014) Successful defence of Royal Marine accused of sexual assault.
R v Carroll (2013) Possession of prohibited weapon. Sawn-off shotgun. Minimum five year sentence on conviction. Prosecution abandoned following proper evaluation of scientific evidence. Mixed DNA profile.
R v M (2013) Taxi driver accused of kidnap and assault with intent to commit sexual offence in course of employment. Acquitted.
Qualifications & Appointments
- Admitted to Roll of Solicitors - 1996
- Called to the Bar - 2007
- Inn of Court - Middle Temple
- Joint Head of Chambers - 2015
- North Eastern Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association area representative
- Accredited Advocacy Trainer - 2015