Simon Pickering LL.B. (Hons) Hull, M.A. (Political Philosophy) York, Call 1996
Simon Pickering has been practicing within Wilberforce Chambers for over 16 years. He specialises in Civil Litigation, and also undertakes some Family Law. His main areas of interest are within the fields of Personal Injury (for which he heads up Chambers’ P.I. team) and Coroners’ Court inquests.
Simon undertakes all aspects of general litigation. He can advise and represent clients from all walks of life being approachable in his manner. This makes him ideal when undertaking Direct Access work where his no-nonsense approach and straight speaking advice have won him repeat custom and praise. Simon notes that he sees “an increase in this form of work, especially within the Small Claim Litigation arena given the increase in the County Courts financial jurisdiction ... Client’s feel that they cannot undertake final hearings themselves given that so much money [for them] is potentially at stake ... and they want experienced assistance in this regard.”
For the past couple of years Simon has been advising employees of a FTSE 100 International Company upon the terms and effect of their compromise or settlement agreements as part of his Direct Access Practice. This is something that he particularly enjoys given its non contentious nature and with it being in complete contrast to the “cut and thrust” of the usual Court day.
Simon undertakes civil work including commercial and chancery work. He is able to assist in complex contractual issues and cases. He advises and represents both companies and employees in relation to employment matters.
Heading up the Personal Injury group within Chambers, Simon is fully conversant with issues of Health and Safety and legislative and regulatory requirements.
Having represented clients in almost all types of Court in England and Wales, Simon is well placed to advise on a multiplicity of issues that may affect companies or individuals.
Simon is one of only three practitioners currently enabled to undertake Public Access cases.
Do feel free to give Simon a call if you think that he may be able to help you whether as a Solicitor or as a Direct Access Client.
- General common law, civil litigation and family law
- Contract and Tort, including personal injury, Coroners’ Court and Construction disputes
- Public interest immunity matters concerning the withholding of services files from under inspection within the criminal law jurisdiction
Qualifications & Appointments
• Inns of Court Inner Temple
• Inns of Court School of Law, London
• Pupillage with Neil Cameron of Wilberforce Chambers
• University of Hull 2.i LL.B
• University of York M.A. in Political Philosophy
• Deputy District Judge (North Eastern Circuit), 2015 - present
• Family Bar Association
• Direct Access - Simon is an accredited Public Access Scheme Barrister