- Claire Holmes specialises exclusively in criminal law in the Magistrates’ and Crown Court and acts for both the Prosecution and the Defence.
- Prior to the bar, Claire trained as a Solicitor at Myer Wolff Solicitors and thereafter practised at Payne and Payne Solicitors before transferring to the Bar in 2009.
- Claire is a Level 4 Crown Prosecution Service Panel Advocate and is also a Rape and Serious Sexual Offences specialist Prosecutor.
- Claire is a member of the Specialist Prosecution panels for Counter Terrorism, Fraud and Serious Crime at Level 3.
- Claire’s practice encompasses the wide range of criminal offences including: Attempted Murder, Serious violence, Rape, Child Sexual offences, Drugs, Dishonesty.
- Claire is highly regarded for her thorough approach to case preparation and her ability to engage well with clients.
- Claire has a well-established reputation for being a capable advocate and has a wealth of experience in conducting jury trials.
- Claire is familiar with advising on and drafting applications in relation to bad character and hearsay evidence, section 41 issues, third party material and disclosure issues.
R -v- Muhammed and Molloy Court of Appeal  Prosecution. Conviction upheld following successful argument that an incorrectly fitted car seat could form basis for death by dangerous driving.
R-v- Carroll  Defence. Female charged with rape and robbery together with male co-defendant acquitted.
R -v- Muhammed  Prosecution. Mental Health S37/41 Order made following a finding by a jury that he did the act.
R -v- Daubaras  Prosecution. Male Defendant convicted of predatory rape.
R -v- Newlove  Defence. Male Defendant charged with rape. Prosecution put to proof and Defendant acquitted.
R -v- Marrow  Prosecution. Defendant convicted of multi-generational familial abuse
R -v- Grigg  Prosecution. Priest convicted of serial sexual abuse of young boys.
Qualifications and Appointments
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors – 2008
- Inn of Court – Gray’s Inn
- CPS Level 4 Prosecutor and rape specialist panel member
- Chambers’ Equality and Diversity Officer (2011 to 2021)
- Chambers’ Management Committee (2015 to 2021)