LL.B. (Hons) Leicester, B.A.(Hons) Hull, Call 1984
Neil Cameron has been in private practice at Wilberforce Chambers since 1988. His practice comprises a mixture of civil and regulatory work.
- Property: contracts and transfers, land registration, joint ownership and ToLATA, adverse possesion, covenants, easements, boundaries, duties of valuers, estate agents and conveyancers, landlord and tenant, nuisance.
- Commercial litigation: contracts for the sale of goods, or supply of services, and all of the issues arising from such contracts.
- Local government property and obligations: in particular, highways, public rights of way and access.
This work is undertaken on behalf of individuals, companies, local authorities and insurance companies. It includes both residential and commercial property, and frequently involves considering the evidence of surveyors and other experts.
- Health and Safety: examples of cases dealt with include explosions, collapses and potential collapses of structures and temporary works, falls from height, injuries and fatalities caused by factory machinery and the use of vehicles at work, railway, dock, offshore, mining, quarrying, agricultural, fairground and adventure holiday accidents, inappropriate control of toxic substances, asbestos, radioactive material.
- Environmental offences: examples of cases include major chemical spillages, water contamination and the inappropriate disposal of controlled waste.
- Other areas: includes planning enforcement, hedgerows, trading standards (including property misdescription), food safety.
All of this work is on behalf of defendant companies (or, occasionally, the directors of such companies) and includes major national and international companies. The cases almost invariably involve the detailed consideration of expert evidence and the consideration of the commercial and reputational aspects, as well as the legal aspects, of any proceedings.
Qualifications & Appointments
- Junior Counsel to the Crown (Provincial Panel) 2000 – 2007 and 2007 – 2012.
- Recorder (North Eastern Circuit, Chancery) 2008 – present.
- Assistant Coroner: South Yorkshire (East District) 2009 – 2021; West Yorkshire (West District) 2013 – 2015; Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire 2015 – 2019.
- Gray’s Inn.
- North Eastern Circuit (Treasurer, 1996 – 1999).
- Property Bar Association.
- Health and Safety Lawyers’ Association (Treasurer, 2005 – 2008).